Built in 1780 by William Blackburn, Watermen’s Hall remains the only original Georgian hall in the City of London. The Hall’s elegance is characterized by 18th century domestic architecture, however, the Company of Watermen dates back much earlier. The Company of Watermen was established by an Act of Parliament in 1555 to regulate Watermen and wherrymen carrying passengers by boat under oars on the River Thames.
In 1983, the Hall underwent an extension to effectively accommodate for larger dining and meeting parties with the addition of the Freemen’s Room. Now, the Freemen’s Room blends in perfect harmony with the Court Room, the Parlour Room, and the Silver Room. “If Watermen were the equivalent of today’s taxi-drivers, the lightermen drove the lorries.” For further information regarding the Hall’s history click here